Thursday, July 17, 2008

Top Ten Things to do When you cant skate

Whether its an injury, or the weather or you are just incapable of skating, there will be a time where you cant skate. In my case, I have been sidelined for the last 2 and a half weeks and its sucks not being able to skate but here are some things to get you through the time when you cant skate.

1. Just Relax
Kick it with the hommies, lurk at the park, or just play video games. Have a good time with what you are doing.
2. Catch up with non skate friends and family.
Since I have been injured, I have hung out with my parents and my non skate friends a lot more than usual and have had a great time. Your world doesnt revove around skateboarding and your family wants to see you every once in a while. I found that my parents are actually fun to hang out with. I just drink beer with mine and bs around the dinner table after work, its pretty fun.
3. Read a Book
Hey you might as well Gain some knowledge or kickback with some HP.
4. Drink Beer
Always a good time. There is nothing better than a cold Grain Belt Premium on a summer afternoon.
5. Blog, nerd out online
That all I ever do at work. Youtube is your friend. I also recommend stumble. Blogs are lame but fun to read. This is the nerdest thing I do.
6. Get a New Hobby
I always have to be busy. In the winter I ski and in the summer I skate, bike, wakeskate and what ever else can occupy my time. I took up mountain biking since my ankle got hurt and it turns out to be a lot of fun and something new and intimidating. I love learning new things and trying new sports. Once I can skate again ill skate but for the time being im just waiting to get better and enjoying every minute of it.
7. Work
43 hours a week, not a lot of time to skate in the first place.
8. Go see every movie in theatres
Why not? Theres some good ones coming out. Hellboy 2 was worth it. Zohan wasnt. Definately going to this one. And this one looks awesome.
9. Save money
With out skating for a while I have more money to spend on other aspects of my life like on beer and movies.
10. Sit Back and Realize how rad skateboarding is.
I know that I often take skateboarding for granted. Especially when you do it every day. An injury or the weather can really put some perspective of how great skateboarding is. I've notice this break with skateboarding that it is truly unique. You cant find that many sports have such a tight culture and how skateboarders are instantly bonded under the fact that they skate. Skateboarders have respect for each other. Sure you don't like every skateboarder but its awesome when you meet someone who skates and you can share a common bond. I've never seen a sport with such a bond between its participants. Skateboarding is just awesome. Its so accessible. You can just walk out your door and skate. Or you can travel the country and skateboard in any state, and virtually any time of year. Just take a step back and look at what skateboarding is and how foutuante we all are that skateboarding exists. Any way, I want to skate now.
Keep on Keeping on
Alex

No comments: